Thank you for being so interested in adopting one of our Maltese rescue dogs. When our dogs are ready for adoption, our foster parents have had time to evaluate them and determine their needs for a new home. We have created an adoption process to ensure a smooth and safe transition from our rescue to your family. Our top priority is ensuring our Maltese go to the best possible forever home.
While you may not fully understand the reasoning behind every aspect of our process, we hope you will support, respect, and appreciate that every step is necessary. Here’s the step-by-step process we have created:
- Complete the Adoption Application in its entirety and mail it in with the non-refundable $10 application fee. Since we receive hundreds of applications every year and multiple applications for each dog, please understand that we cannot acknowledge everyone we receive.
- If there is a specific dog you are interested in, please wait four days until Mary receives your application and then call her to discuss it. Once you have contacted Mary, she will then review your application.
- Due to the large number of phone calls Mary receives, she cannot return a call if you leave a message. Please continue to try to contact Mary.
- If you are a good candidate for adoption, there will be several phone interviews, and your references, including veterinarian and groomer, will be checked. This will be the only time that you may receive a phone call.
- If possible, we will conduct a home visit. If this is unrealistic, pictures of your home and yard are helpful. You can send them with your Application or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, but be sure to include your name and that you have sent in your application.
- If you already have a dog, a meet and greet between your dog(s) and the dog you wish to adopt is important to ensure the dog’s compatibility.
- A signed Adoption Contract and the paid adoption fee are required before the adoption can be finalized.
- The Contract states that if you are unable to care for or keep the dog, you must return it to Northcentral Maltese Rescue. You may not sell, give away or destroy any dog adopted from our rescue.
- While we do adopt to out-of-state residences, it is a requirement that you pick up the new addition to your family in person. It may mean flying or driving to the location of the Maltese.
- To complete the Adoption Application now, go to Adoption Application on this website. NOTE – the application must be printed and mailed in.
We determine the dog’s fee based on age, health, and behavior, not on the amount we have spent on the dog. A young, healthy puppy that is altered and is up to date on its vaccinations will cost no more than $550. Senior dogs may cost as little as $150 or less.
We are a volunteer group and can continue our excellent work with donations and adoption fees only. We strive to find the perfect forever home for each member of our rescue family. That said, the adoption process is not approached on a first-come, first-served basis. Our adoption decisions are based solely on finding the optimal environment for each one of our rescued friends.
Normally we do not adopt to families with children under 10 years of age or people under 25 years of age. Our older senior applicants who qualify to adopt cannot be considered for a puppy or a young dog but will be able to adopt an older Maltese.
Our rescues are friends for life. After the required contact time, we’d love for you to keep us up to date on how the latest addition to your family is doing. Sending pictures are great! You might also like to check out our Northcentral Maltese Rescue Incorporated Facebook page.
Now that you’re up to speed on the adoption process, look at our Available Dogs to find your new forever friend! Thank you for being so interested in Maltese Rescue; we look forward to receiving your application.
For Specific Information About Our Dogs
Mary Palmer, President/Rescue Coordinator
Northcentral Maltese Rescue, Inc.
Phone: 262-800-3323 or fill out a form on the Contact page
For General Information About Our Rescue
If you are unable to reach Mary, please contact Trudy Peischl in Washington State at
509-968-9001 or fill out a form on the Contact page